Thursday 28 April 2011

Week 7 Post: Is a Career in New Media really for me?


I am a creature of consistency. I have lived in the same house since the day I was brought home from the hospital and I attended only one primary school and one high school. Therefore, describing my potential career in new media with words such as “project-based, freelance, short-term contracts, multi-sited and mobile” makes me a little uncomfortable (Leong 2011).

However, it seems these concepts underpin working life in the new media field and if I choose to make new media the basis of my career it’s something I would begrudgingly adapt to.

Jai Morton (2011) discussed her desire for “a consistent role that provides me with sufficient income” when she enters the job market after completing her degree. I wholeheartedly share that dream. Unfortunately, after reading Gill’s (2007) article it seems a career in new media will be anything but stable. 

work at home cartoons, work at home cartoon, work at home picture, work at home pictures, work at home image, work at home images, work at home illustration, work at home illustrations
Although the prospect at the top is enticing, I don't want to end up in a situation similar to the image below it.

Image sources: (T) http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mbc/lowres/mbcn277l.jpg
(B) http://technodiaries.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/freelancing-2-final.jpg


I don’t want to worry about unsteady workflow, potential social isolation and lack of affordable workspaces associated with freelancing (Gill 2007, 26). However, I don’t know if isolation would be a real problem because it seems you have to constantly be networking, with one of Gill’s (2007, 26) respondents saying “Monday night is the only night I don’t have networking drinks” (Sonia, female, 30s). This networking merry-go-round could be an extra stress in life as one respondent, Danielle said, “Life is a pitch.” I don’t find this idea very appealing (Gill 2007, 26).

I think I’ll stick to a 9 to 5 job where “my time” remains largely separated from my “employer’s time” (Leong 2011).


Reference List


Gill, Rosalind. 2007. Technobohemians or the new Cybertariat: New media work in Amsterdam a decade after the web. Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam. Accessed April 28, 2011. http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/portal/publications/network-notebooks/technobohemians-or-the-new-cybertariat/

Leong, Susan. 2011. “KCB206 New Media: Internet Self & Beyond: Week 7 Lecture Notes.” Accessed April 28, 2011.

Morton, Jai. 2011. “Media professionals – adaptors to change,” New Media Native, April 25. Accessed April 28, 2011. http://jailouisemedia.blogspot.com/2011/04/future-of-new-media.html

No comments:

Post a Comment